Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Ivy League Fall Sports Announcement        (Topic#24504)
SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
07-07-20 05:11 PM - Post#310095    

See Mike Jensen's column in today's Inquirer re announcement (tomorrow - Wednesday) on Ivy Fall Sports. It does not look good.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/Philade...

Quake Show 
Junior

Reg: 03-04-20
Re: Ivy League Fall Sports Announcement
07-07-20 06:07 PM - Post#310100    
    In response to SteveChop

I know current students aren’t distraught over no football - with the exception of groups like the Penn Band - but it’s only a matter of time before basketball faces a season shortened or cancelled, especially non-conference.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
Ivy League Fall Sports Announcement
07-07-20 06:55 PM - Post#310102    
    In response to Quake Show

Kind of surprised no one has been talking about this here. Everyone just waiting for the hammer to drop, so don't want to say it aloud and make it come true?

I'll be honest, I like to see Penn Football win and had some crazy moments in my Penn days like seeing the goalposts torn down and thrown into the Schuylkill (which in hindsight was extremely dangerous of course), but it doesn't matter much to me. I check scores and see how we are doing in the season maybe, so wouldn't be a huge loss personally.

BUT the elephant in the room is that they could easily come out tomorrow and say no sports in 2020 at all, and then poof goes the basketball non-conference schedule... or even worse, could say no sports in fall or spring and no basketball season whatsoever.

Depending on what IS said tomorrow, I think we will have to look closely to see how other schools/leagues respond. Depending, I wonder if there could be a negative affect on recruiting or more...

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
07-07-20 07:01 PM - Post#310104    
    In response to Mike Porter

I just don't see any sports really working out given the trajectory we are currently on as a country. Things are going to get worse this fall before they get better and these "bubbles" are anything but bubbles. Therefore I will stick to betting and fantasy golf and keep hoping the guys I play don't wake up with fevers. I fear it's going to be a grim 6 months wrt sports.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
07-07-20 07:35 PM - Post#310112    
    In response to Quakers03

Oh too be clear, I completely agree - unfortunately its a cluster@#$% at the moment because people can't follow simple directives to safeguard each other. So, I understand if there are no sports in the fall and think it would be justified unless we see a quick change or game changer like a vaccine.

BUT, if we go the no sports route and not everyone else does, there could be negative implications for us as well. So will have to see where it all goes.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
07-07-20 07:40 PM - Post#310114    
    In response to Mike Porter

In the heart of college football land, the brilliant Florida governor has ordered all schools to reopen in person for the fall (that's August).

If he's looking for 50,000 new cases a day....in Florida alone, that will definitely happen with this order.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

07-07-20 09:32 PM - Post#310119    
    In response to penn nation

I think in this analysis we have to distinguish between conferences such as the Power 5 and the like where a TREMENDOUS amount of their budget is due to FB and the associated TV revenue. That's certainly not the case in the Ivy League so while cancelling fall sports would suck, it's not a big revenue hit.

Here's your hint at the real answer. Harvard announced that it will only have freshmen and students who need to be on campus "to progress academically" on campus during the fall semester and seniors during the spring semester.

Similarly, Princeton announced yesterday that first-year students and juniors will be welcomed to campus for the fall semester, and sophomores and seniors for the spring semester. Most academic instruction will remain online.

Brown University will move to a three-term model for the next academic year. Undergraduates will be required to be on campus for two of the three terms — fall, spring, and summer — but no first-year students will attend the fall term,

It doesn't take a genius to extrapolate that there are not going to be fall sports and, with so many students not on campus, it is unlikely to me that there will be ANY Ivy League sports this year.

THAT IS WHAT REALLY SUCKS!

Quake Show 
Junior

07-07-20 10:12 PM - Post#310120    
    In response to SteveChop

I expect we have about 12 hours until that announcement is official.

I for one, am not hopeful. What further bothers me about it is the disparity in action taken by schools: Harvard Yale and Princeton are on the extremes in distancing measures taken whereas Cornell is entirely back to campus in the fall. I understand why this is the case, it doesn't take a genius to realize its much easier to contain a situation in Ithaca as it is in Boston, but I will say this:

It's not schools like Cornell that carry clout among Ivy-wide decisions.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

07-07-20 11:03 PM - Post#310121    

As Ronald Reagan said about Russia being part of the Evil Axis, so is HYPr the Evil Axis of the Ivy League.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

07-07-20 11:03 PM - Post#310122    

As Ronald Reagan said about Russia being part of the Evil Axis, so is HYPr the Evil Axis of the Ivy League.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
07-07-20 11:16 PM - Post#310123    
    In response to SteveChop

Because they don’t want to lead their students into a pandemic for the sake our our entertainment. Remember, Harvard led the shutdown. The entire NCAA would soon comply, followed by a large portion of the world.

If Harvard and Princeton are leading again, I would think long and hard, then follow.

Quake Show 
Junior

07-08-20 12:42 AM - Post#310124    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

While I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment that, yes, schools prove fertile breeding grounds for COVID the question might still remain which is better: students coming back to school or staying at home?

For that I will leave this here: https://people.orie.cornell.edu/pfrazier/COVID_19_...

I study (as part of my computer science curriculum) systems engineering classes and understand the faults within dynamic systems modeling as it pertains to each model and as they are applied elsewhere. So I am not linking this as a "gotcha"-response, because that would be inappropriate. Cornell ≠ Harvard, Ithaca ≠ Boston.

That being said, there are some things that are modeled here that can be applied to HYP (and that are not, as a result of their announcement, universally speaking). These are: testing students regularly, monitoring their interactions via phone data, signing them into compacts for which they face penalties for not adhering, grouping students by living-area, etc. These are all practices that the Cornell researches concluded would make college a safer place IF students return rather than thousands of students and faculty spread across the globe without such rigorous procedures. If you are to suggest that HYP is correct in their decision going forward to not let all students back on campus – and leave thousands scattered – you would need to do so on the basis of discounting research against such a move, and discredit the practices that could be applied to those schools and their entire student bodies.

In truth, we will never be able to tell the difference between what would happen in each scenario for Harvard specifically. That's the nature of dynamic systems. However, attaching weight to a decision on the basis of the brand-name it is issued from doesn't always preclude it being the right decision.

palestra38 
Professor

07-08-20 07:36 AM - Post#310125    

The fact remains what I have been saying all along with respect to recruiting---Harvard's brand allows it to do what other schools cannot. Harvard knows the demand for the sheepskin is so high that it can charge over $50K for a clearly diminished experience, while most schools cannot. Indeed, Harvard is extending the time for students to declare for a gap year, while most schools are imploring people not to do so. The college economic model simply does not work for remote classes---no one can justify the cost without the college experience. So the majority of colleges are going to bring in the students because they have to to survive. Harvard need not do so. It's as simple as that---it's very easy to say to follow Harvard, but it is not easy to actually follow Harvard because it can do what no one else can do.

penn nation 
Professor

07-08-20 07:54 AM - Post#310127    
    In response to palestra38

Seems like it's more about the financial assistance that Harvard can provide than the brand.

palestra38 
Professor

07-08-20 08:08 AM - Post#310129    

Nope---if Harvard stopped all financial assistance today, it would decimate its basketball team, but its freshman class would still have 20X as many applicants as can get in.

penn nation 
Professor

07-08-20 08:16 AM - Post#310131    

Not in the covid era if you're not going to be on campus for most or all of the year.

palestra38 
Professor

07-08-20 08:26 AM - Post#310132    

All I can say is that I strongly disagree. Harvard would fill its class if it told everyone that there were to be 2 years of online courses, but you get the full Harvard degree. Wouldn't necessarily be the same people, but it would have no trouble filling its class.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
07-08-20 09:22 AM - Post#310133    

• palestra38 Said:
Nope---if Harvard stopped all financial assistance today, it would decimate its basketball team, but its freshman class would still have 20X as many applicants as can get in.

You are probably right about this, but the quality of their class in several dimensions would suffer and the overall quality of their undergraduate education would be even less consistent with their brand than it is today.

That said, the question of whether students are safer on campus or at home is an interesting and complicated one. It also varies considerably by campus. Dartmouth and Cornell clearly have advantages there. It’s not just about the students though and it’s not about safety. The liability question is also unsettled.

Put me in the camp of being skeptical about the possibility of fall and winter sports. I remain optimistic about the Spring only because I choose too.

palestra38 
Professor

07-08-20 09:49 AM - Post#310134    
    In response to Streamers

My only point is that Harvard, relatively uniquely among American universities, can afford to be extremely conservative as to the resumption of on-campus life. Many college cannot survive---most of the smaller liberal arts colleges are heading towards an on-campus, hybrid class scheduling running through Thanksgiving.

penn nation 
Professor

07-08-20 10:18 AM - Post#310135    

Agreed.

I think it has more to do with the size of H's endowment and ability to extend financial aid than anything else, but we'll agree to disagree on that.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.172 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:12 AM