Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Harvard II        (Topic#25991)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
02-06-22 01:26 AM - Post#335555    

Well, now seems about as good a time as any to start thinking about the next game. Yale travels to Lavietes for a mid-week rematch from just four days prior. It's really, really hard to beat a team on both legs of a back-to-back, especially when the second leg is at their place. Harvard knows that they need this win desperately to stay in the hunt for the fourth seed in the ILT, and they're coming off an emotional loss, so I'd expect them to bring their best in the second leg.

Yale will need to play an exceptionally sharp game in order to win this. They'll need the intensity from last game coupled with much greater care in hanging onto the ball at a minimum. I think a win is doable for the Bulldogs, but it's a tall order indeed.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
02-06-22 11:09 AM - Post#335567    
    In response to iogyhufi

My opinion is that Yale will be slight favorite on the road. Harvard has a great chance to cover a 1 to 3 point spread.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
02-06-22 11:11 AM - Post#335568    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

Jones and Swain do not want to play Harvard in the tourney at Cambridge. Winning Wednesday helps very much in that regard.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-06-22 01:17 PM - Post#335590    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

Crazy, tough and sloppy game last night. Without Ledlum, Yale got its way too much near the basket.

Yale's forwards outscored Harvard's 24-14 and Yale outrebounded Harvard 37-29.

If Ledlum returns, and Harvard makes the tournament at Lavietes, that should change.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-06-22 06:10 PM - Post#335631    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I've wondered what's up with Ledlum. Not sure if he'll come back at all, but certainly if he does that changes the picture. I understand that Forbes hasn't been back for very long but he looked quite poor yesterday.

To me, the key on Wednesday will be who hits shots from outside. Neither team did yesterday (obviously), but doing so changes the calculus on defense a lot. This has in recent history been a real problem for Yale, when, e.g., Djuricic is allowed to get hot and goes like 4-6 from 3. Fortunately, this didn't happen yesterday (aside from two Lesmond threes that were actually defended well), but it's an ever-present threat. Granted, Harvard has fewer outside threats than they recently have had.

Yale has held every team they've faced so far to a very low 3P%, but mrjames is of the opinion that this is the sort of thing that is inherently random and not sustainable. I'm not sure that I agree, but I suppose we'll have to see.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-06-22 10:53 PM - Post#335657    
    In response to iogyhufi

An announcer on a game a week ago said that Ledlum had been playing with his injury most of the year

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
Harvard II
02-07-22 10:53 AM - Post#335691    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
An announcer on a game a week ago said that Ledlum had been playing with his injury most of the year

Injured or not, Ledlum scored 17 in an 11 point loss to Brown a month ago. Brown! Those Harvard fans who are dreaming of a Ledlum miracle if they somehow manage to grab the bottom seed in that little band box of theirs are probably living in fantasy land. Given the rematch this past weekend in Providence, they may be better off without him.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-08-22 12:22 AM - Post#335791    
    In response to LyleGold

Not quite. Brown won because it shot like it hasn’t all year (15-26 on 3’s). Kudos to Brown.

Harvard was a deep squad. But without Forbes, Ajogbor, Pitcher & Hemmings played without a frontcourt. Remove the entire 4 man depth chart from any other team and likely they won’t do as well as Harvard did OOC.

Ledlum was the top Ivy rebounder and was a leading scorer. Remove him from what remains and it’s a big impact. Lose your starting PG (Tretout) as well and it doesn’t get better. The Crimson have been relying on freshmen who weren’t anticipated to be seeing the court. On the final possessions against Yale we had 3 freshmen, including Sam Silverstein and Evan Nelson. Frankly, for this team to have a shot at the Ivy Tournament is remarkable. Let Forbes continue to play himself into shape with a healthy Ledlum and Tretout and my money would be on the Crimson in the tournament.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-08-22 01:38 AM - Post#335798    

Yeah, um, I would not want my mouth to write checks my giving-up-forty-points-in -ten-minutes-to-Cornell team might find troublesome to cash. Lest we forget, Penn beat Harvard by four at Lavietes in a game where Harvard shot 11-20 from the line, and that was with a 31 point night from Jordan Dingle. Somehow, I suspect the re-addition of Forbes will help the defense (even though subbing out Catchings for Ledlum would probably hurt it) in a potential rematch. I, for one, am rooting quite strongly for Harvard's opponents down the stretch precisely because I don't like the idea of playing a healthy Harvard at home (say that five times fast).

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-08-22 08:55 AM - Post#335807    
    In response to iogyhufi

Your final sentence was exactly my point.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-08-22 09:49 AM - Post#335810    

Oh, I was agreeing with you. Penn (much like everyone else in the League) is not nearly good enough to think that they could easily beat any of the teams in the Ivy League (as their home loss to Columbia proves). If nothing else, road games are extremely difficult, and I would not want to play a team with two players like Kirkwood and Ledlum in a true road game if I could avoid it.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
02-08-22 10:03 AM - Post#335811    
    In response to iogyhufi

Has any Penn fan here suggested otherwise?

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Harvard II
02-08-22 11:10 AM - Post#335819    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
Not quite. Brown won because it shot like it hasn’t all year (15-26 on 3’s). Kudos to Brown.

Obviously I was being facetious about "maybe H is better off without Ledlum". I'm not being facetious, however, about how Ledlum's presence (and 17 point contribution) didn't keep H from losing to Brown by 11. Every team has had to deal with injuries, including Penn who has remade its squad and style of play with great success. The loss of its two main big men forced it to reimagine its offense and redeploy its remaining big man, JuCo transfer Moshkovitz, in a totally different, but vastly more effective, manner. Penn has subsequently tapped into its bench for another big, freshman Laczkowski, who has been a versatile addition inside and outside in Penn's current streak.

By the way, I AM NOT SAYING THAT WANG AND LORCA LLOYED ARE EQUAL TO LEDLUM.

One other point, Forbes played and was generally effective in Penn's win at Lavietes. It's not totally clear that Iogy recognizes that with his comment about Forbes's "re-addition" in the rematch.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Re: Harvard II
02-08-22 11:31 AM - Post#335826    
    In response to LyleGold

Oh, I knew. My argument, though poorly articulated, was that Forbes will get better as he gets back up to speed, since that was his second game all year and his first in two weeks.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Re: Harvard II
02-08-22 12:20 PM - Post#335831    
    In response to iogyhufi

Okay, got it. That raises the question of how effective will Ledlum be if, and when, he returns? It's hard to imagine he won't need several games to shake the rust off. I think it is even tougher for a guy of his build to carry that weight without being in game condition, as compared to someone like Forbes who is much lighter.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-08-22 01:13 PM - Post#335836    
    In response to LyleGold

I started the season hoping that Forbes, Ajogbor, Pitcher, Hemmings and Nelson would return in time to assure Crimson a tournament spot and be back in form for the tournament.

I then added Tretout and Ledlum.

Might well be that Harvard is healthy enough to potentially be the best by Tournament time if we have a starting lineup of Kirkwood, Ledlum, Forbes , Sakota and Catchings/Lesmond. It is not unlikely though, that the timing of their return and subsequent effectiveness won't happen in time for the team to get there.

Of course, other teams have injuries. I'm not at all attempting to gauge the value and lost impact of those players.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
02-08-22 01:21 PM - Post#335837    

I'll certainly grant you this---while all teams have injuries, Harvard has managed to put together over the last 5 seasons the most significant injuries in Towns, Aiken and now Ledlum.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

02-08-22 01:28 PM - Post#335840    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:

Of course, other teams have injuries. I'm not at all attempting to gauge the value and lost impact of those players.

I know you're not, but others are - quite contentiously.

yoyo 
Senior

Reg: 03-25-09
02-09-22 12:43 PM - Post#335901    
    In response to LyleGold

GO HARVARD BEAT YALE

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

02-09-22 03:06 PM - Post#335911    
    In response to yoyo

The fascinating thing about those injuries under current rules is that it allows players to stay 'active' well beyond their Ivy League years!

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.215 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:40 AM