Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Maine        (Topic#27617)
Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
12-03-23 01:56 PM - Post#360087    

Feels like a redux of the UNH game. Same issues as always - turnovers on 20% of possessions this half, 22.2% from beyond the arc, haven't got to the line all that often, but shooting 25% from the charity stripe. Without scoring from Kino, it's all falling apart.

Feel like it might be time to go deeper on the bench - the young guys may not be totally ready, but if that half is indicative of the best that our starters can do, I can't see how they can hurt us.

Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
12-03-23 03:17 PM - Post#360094    
    In response to Ever True

Welp, it's the hope that kills you.

Bears make a great push (and make me eat my words) in the second half to cut the deficit down to 2 with 5 minutes to go, but get outscored 11-2 down the stretch.

I thought our offense got a little too Kino-centric at the end, especially on a day when his shot wasn't falling, but if he makes a couple of those 3s at the end, I'd be singing a different tune.

Still can't really get a read on this team. The talent is there. The effort seems to be there - a lesser team just rolls over and dies in the second half. But the wins are just not there. I was really hoping we would get two wins this weekend to give us some momentum. We have five games until conference play and Kenpom favors us in only one of them.

I had high hopes for this team, but I need them to show me something. This is more or the less group we're running it back with next year, albeit with even less guard depth after Felix and Kimo graduate.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-03-23 05:58 PM - Post#360100    
    In response to Ever True

One of the saddest games in recent history. I know they can do better, but I am not looking forward to URI and PC.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Maine
12-03-23 06:16 PM - Post#360102    
    In response to Ever True

It’s a funny team. Talent but limited depth in the backcourt. Some smooth offensive players but a choppy offensive flow. The rough shooting isn’t a big surprise but they’ve been worse than I’d thought. Losing Wojcik and Friday has definitely hurt their ballhandling, as just about everyone who plays a little turns it over at a pretty high rate.

They defend the inside very well, and they can really rebound. And they never stop playing.

The most frustrating part is that both we and they know they should be better - probably are better - than 2-8. They have been in just about every game. They get in a hole and then they come back. They just haven’t made the plays to win. Even their one D1 win against UMKC they almost gave away. Not a lot of sure hands out there, and they are missing Friday and Pax very badly.

This is the type of team that could knock off Yale or Princeton on a given night, but they could also get swept by Dartmouth. Not enough shooting or ballhandling right now to think they can be a top half Ivy. The ball has to go in sometimes and not go to the other team others. Can that change? Dunno.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Edited by Bruno on 12-03-23 06:19 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
12-03-23 06:18 PM - Post#360103    
    In response to Old Bear

Bear I actually think having URI and PC up next is pretty good timing. Chance to play well enough against a good team - which they’ve shown they’re capable of - to get some confidence back.
On paper shouldn’t be pretty. But I bet they’ll compete in these two.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.198 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:24 PM