Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: You want apathy?        (Topic#27847)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
02-16-24 08:45 PM - Post#363313    

It’s halftime and nobody has started a Yale game thread.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: You want apathy?
02-16-24 09:58 PM - Post#363328    
    In response to Streamers

I officially declare the season a joke.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
02-16-24 11:19 PM - Post#363341    
    In response to palestra38

More terrible defense again. 53% offense for Yale. Nick was invisible. Shows you what good defense does to a limited offense. A good team can shut one player down.

Columbia is not three games ahead. A loss tomorrow ends the season.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
02-17-24 12:22 AM - Post#363347    
    In response to UPIA1968

I am out of town on business. A quick check of the score tells me there's no reason to watch the replay.

I am sliding towards apathy, too. I never thought I would get to this point.

Season over.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
You want apathy?
02-17-24 12:39 AM - Post#363349    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Nick got taken out of the game by our good buddy Tim Kelly. He was mugged, Tim didn’t call it, Nick chirped at him, Tim chirped back, then a few plays later while Nick was debating another poor call with a different official, Tim, from a good bit away, got his retribution for being chirped at and called a T. What a hero he is to defend his partner. He then gave Nick his third foul on a non-foul (at least not by Nick) that he somehow saw through both Perkins and the Yale big. The man holds a grudge.

When we shoot 3s like that we have no chance. It was really difficult to watch. The size advantage is just so overwhelming it’s laughable. The worst part about all of this is just how dreadful the offense looks. Time after time you see 5 guys standing around the perimeter and then maybe Nick flashes. So we get a forced runner, a forced or semi-open 3 that we usually brick, or Nick down low. Pretty deflating that none of these other bigs are able to do anything at all.

Good news. He brought Eddie into the game before the first timeout. He then proceeded to give productive minutes before picking up two fouls. He even played a bit more with those two fouls. Bad news. He didn’t see the court in the second half until it was over. I don’t even know what to say anymore. But at least we get to watch George brick up 3s and Latch grab a few rebounds and maybe finish once. No one was stopping Wolf anyway.

Can’t wait to hear how we have to wait longer to see how it plays out.

By the way, this crush job was completed without Knowling who will most likely play tomorrow. Down lower we go.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
02-17-24 01:28 AM - Post#363356    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:
It’s halftime and nobody has started a Yale game thread.

I genuinely forgot there was a game until I saw your post during halftime. Checked the score and thought, “big nope”.

“James Jones tells me that Yale's Matt Knowling DNP tonight against Penn due to a groin injury, but he's hopeful that he'll play on Saturday against Princeton.” Yale wasn’t even worried enough about Penn to play Knowling.

Fascinating to look at minutes spread now compared to beginning of the season. Coaching staff again scrambling for answers that don’t exist.

Some good young pieces, time to bring in fresh ideas and fresh recruiting to try to make sure they don’t get wasted like AJ or Jordan by not getting enough talent around them.

Even if they win the next 6 (not likely), who cares, the result is the same. Not good enough.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-17-24 01:33 PM - Post#363370    
    In response to Quakers03

The referee who teed up Nick called him an expletive, too.

The defense on Wolf was actually pretty effective with George and Eddie guarding him. We seemed worse defensively when Wolf wasn’t in the game. Evidence of the obvious fact that Yale is better than we are right now, and we kind of needed gimmicks to compete. Once we started matching up more straight up, they lit us up.

I know I’m the last one to give up, and historically I say there is no such thing as a must win until you are facing mathematical elimination, but . . . tonight is a must win.

Quakers03 
Professor

You want apathy?
02-17-24 02:19 PM - Post#363374    
    In response to SomeGuy

The good news is Tim Kelly will be back again and again doing our games. He even does the red and blue scrimmage. There’s a reason I know his name. His masterpiece was the tourney game at Yale but he is consistently terrible. No other ref has to run off the court in between breaks more than he does. And yet it’s not even something the league would consider reviewing.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
02-17-24 03:36 PM - Post#363375    
    In response to Quakers03

A couple of points:

Vis-a-vis Martz and Dingle's departure. The only reason they are playing is Covid. Penn's current talent is the sum of the last four recruiting years. Without covid this is what we would have had anyway.

Some sad Ivy-only efficiency stats. Penn is 7th of 3% made; eighth on 2% allowed, eighth 3% attempts allowed; eighth on defensive efficiency; 7th on turnovers gains; eighth on assists allowed. When people said nine years ago that Steve was an offensive coach they sure were right. Penn is currently only good at preventing O board ranking 2. They are 6th at getting offensive boards.

Penn is ranked 6th in offense. That is what happens when you have only three scorers. Say what you want about the next three, Laz, Holland, and Smith. None can create offense. They are good only for taking a pass at the hoop of grabbing a O board. They average 3.7 shots on 18.8 minutes a game. From there is gets worse.

It is still possible for the five dwarfs to end up tied in the Ivies at 4-10.

Quakers03 
Professor

02-17-24 04:23 PM - Post#363376    
    In response to UPIA1968

Holland can’t create offense? Are you not watching the same thing as me? This is the second time this comment has been made. Eddie creates his own offense as well as anyone on the team. Another reason I am in disbelief as to how he couldn’t see the floor down 20 in the second half.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
You want apathy?
02-17-24 04:32 PM - Post#363379    
    In response to Quakers03

Yes, Eddie creates his own offense. I think there is an issue with finding how to use that within a team concept. By that I mean that the offense overall seems worse when Eddie is a primary scorer. But when we get him the ball in the right spots, he can create for himself. Though the other question is efficiency — a couple weekends ago where we saw the Holland offense that seemed to excite people, he only shot 9 for 29.

I guess to UPIA’s point, we do sometimes have him play more of the Laz role where he is cutting to the basket and more of a destination for passes as he gets to the hoop. That is when we get high efficiency Eddie. But he certainly can create for himself. I guess we actually saw Laz get to the basket himself on a drive last night, too.

Edited by SomeGuy on 02-17-24 04:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
02-17-24 10:46 PM - Post#363410    
    In response to SomeGuy

If Eddie is so wonderful, why is he not playing more. On a team as bad as this one someone with real talent would be starting and getting thirty minutes per game.

The coaching staff is not good at recruiting and coaching defense for sure. But what is the evidence that it is playing the wrong people?

Quakers03 
Professor

You want apathy?
02-18-24 12:39 AM - Post#363427    
    In response to UPIA1968

The comment was he can’t make his own shot. That comment remains incorrect. Imagine using Steve’s use of guys as any indication of anything at this point. Latch didn’t see the court but Walter got tons of run tonight. All of a sudden Thrower is back getting minutes. It’s obvious they are lost and throwing anything that sticks. I’ve never seen a Penn offense look this dreadful. Ever. No good looks. No plan. No nothing.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
02-18-24 05:09 AM - Post#363432    
    In response to Quakers03

You guys are gluttons for punishment. I checked out a long time ago and even canceled my ESPN plus subscription.

Quakers03 
Professor

02-18-24 08:12 AM - Post#363435    
    In response to 10Q

I pay for a full season, I still love Penn basketball and nothing beats the Palestra. That’s all I’ve got…From looking around this dead board to looking at the faces around the Palestra who are missing, they have officially destroyed Penn basketball. I guess for those of us who want change a season like this was our only chance. But when the development office tells my friend that “Steve deserves another year” and then proceeds to blame it on players leaving, I’m not going to get my hopes up. All of this sucks because Steve, Joe (I’m sure Kris is fine) and the players seem like genuinely nice people but this is unacceptable and nothing we’ve seen in 9 years leads to believe that anything will change in the future.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
02-18-24 01:07 PM - Post#363457    
    In response to Quakers03

I would go to the Palestra just to be there and if I was really bored. Other than that, no thanks.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-18-24 01:42 PM - Post#363458    
    In response to 10Q

• 10Q Said:
You guys are gluttons for punishment. I checked out a long time ago and even canceled my ESPN plus subscription.

You had ESPN+ just for Penn basketball? I mean, there's a heck of a lot on that streaming service which is much more worthwhile.

barryw 
Sophomore

Reg: 05-05-10
02-18-24 03:09 PM - Post#363462    
    In response to penn nation

I have been going to the Palestra since the 1955-56 season. I had season tickets for the ten years before the pandemic. Since now my wife is an invalid I can’t go. Bad teams (like this year) or goodI wish I could be there.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
02-18-24 04:41 PM - Post#363468    
    In response to barryw

Wow! I saw my first college game at The Palestra in 1964. You have 10 years on me. How old are you. I am 76

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
02-18-24 09:05 PM - Post#363486    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

I saw my first Palestra game in 1958, Temple (Guy Rogers) against Penn. I saw probably 30 double headers during my student days. Since my stepfather, Mike Nazarok was the equipment man for Penn I got in for free - right during the glory days of the Big Five.

I remember more about the frosh beating the varsity two years in a row, than about those two bad Penn teams of my Junior and Senior years.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.249 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:51 PM