Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Formula's for disaster/notadisaster        (Topic#2824)
Anonymous 

03-17-06 06:01 PM - Post#18152    

I don't really see how Penn has anything, but the faintest of hopes to win tonight's game. That said, what I hope doesn't happen is that Penn comes out firing up 3's. I think that's a formula for disaster. We don't shoot them well, Texas is quick and the openings to shoot the 3 will be shorter than the team is used to. Reliance on the 3 and cold shooting could mean that the game is over in the first 10 minutes.

Rather than focus on the 3, I hope that Penn moves the ball inside and back out, looks for the opportunties to slash inside, takes those short inside shots, get some fouls on Texas and hope for the best from there.

Biggest question in my mind is will there be any serious interior defense or will Texas run amok with our guys fouling. If this game looks scary with our starting 5+2, how ugly would it be if 8,9,10 have to play serious minutes?

Hoping for:

1)Texas to really not take this game seriously
2)Texas sloppy with the ball and we get a possession advantage
3)Somehow keep them off the offensive boards
4)Ibby is hot and draws some fouls, too.
5)Zoller has his 3 point shot working.
6)Texas accidentally leaves half their team in the hotel
7)Oz thinks he's playing Temple and gets hot
8)Dunphy has been thinking creatively and doesn't simply come out with what's sort of worked all year.
9)Other half of the Texas team is stopped by security on the way in and "detained" as Unlawful Basketball Combatants.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Re: Formula's for disaster/notadisaster
03-17-06 06:11 PM - Post#18153    
    In response to

10) A dybbuk enters Whitehurst's body and he morphs into Chris Elzey.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-17-06 06:15 PM - Post#18154    
    In response to

If you think Penn can compete by slashing to the basket, you are more confident than I. Hell, the great '78 team lost by slashing to the basket against Gminski, and they had real slashers. You can't hope to beat a quicker, taller team by taking it inside. Penn's only hope is to take those "3s" and hit them, a la first half Jed Ryan against Florida. That shows Dunphy is willing to throw caution to the wind when he is overmatched.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-17-06 06:52 PM - Post#18155    
    In response to palestra38

One potential variation on this. If Texas has tape of anything, it's likely to be the Princeton game last week and the Duke game. I'm hoping they see how Duke was able to harass us out on the perimeter. While it led to a lot of turnovers and a lot of discomfort, it seemed to me that we got a good number of decent looks cutting to the basket as a result against both Duke and 'Nova.

So in a sense, I think we do what we usually do, which is take what the defense gives us. I'm hoping, along the lines of Chuck's post, that they do some things that give us the two. But if they don't, we'll have to chuck and see what happens. Of course, Texas may be good enough to not give us anything at all.

Anonymous 

03-17-06 07:32 PM - Post#18156    

First, I don't think Penn can really "compete" whatever happens. Second, I doubt that Texas thinks an Ivy team will take it "at them", they will expect us to fire up 3's. Texas is not deep, a couple of guys getting early fouls, could make the game much more competitive. Only way we get those fouls is by trying to take it inside (I don't care if they block a couple of them, if they also take a few fouls).

If Penn's only hope, as you say, is chucking up 3's, there really is no hope. This is not a 3pt shooting team...be agressive and see if you can surprise them. Take advantage of sloppy play. Zoller, Oz, DW or Danley firing 3's won't get it done unless Texas is back a bit on their heels and not quite sure what's going on.

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
03-17-06 07:36 PM - Post#18157    

Quote:

Hell, the great '78 team lost by slashing to the basket against Gminski, and they had real slashers.

To be clear, they lost because Tom Crowley thought (erroneously) that he had suddenly become a slasher.

Anonymous 

03-17-06 09:31 PM - Post#18158    
    In response to Ancient Quaker

Actually, I'd say they lost because Kevin McD didn't make shots that he'd made for most of three years. If Kevin had made a few more of those 10-12 foot shots Penn would have won.

Of course, Crowley didn't help. Hard to imagine, today, that a single Penn team could have players like McDonald, Price, Willis, White, Salters, Smith on it. Most or all highly recruited by top programs... Thank you Ivy Presidents for preserving our academic integrity (unless, of course, you are an Ivy prez that says things that are politically incorrect or tries to change some of the incredibly inefficient ways the faculties work...in that case, you're toast!!! Academic integrity be damned).

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-17-06 09:52 PM - Post#18159    
    In response to

I think if we play great, we still need 65 points. Give Ibby 17, Zoller 14 and Danley 9. We still need 25 more. Don't think it will be Fred or Brian tonight for most of those 25. Seems to me, assuming lots of other positive things happen, that either Whitehurst or Oz has to have one of those "in the zone" games and make 4 or 5 threes. It's certainly possible but not probable. I'd really like to see a good game and, while we might get blown out, we must still have that good game arrow somewhere in our quiver. We certainly didn't use it up against BC.

TXQuaker 
goober

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 02-10-05
Re: Formula for not a disaster-Green Jerseys
03-17-06 11:10 PM - Post#18160    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Maybe we could come out in our luck of the Irish green jerseys for St. Patty's day.

A Penn win and Penn green jerseys could happen, but both are unlikely.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.438 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:47 PM