Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: PC 79-63 - some good, some bad        (Topic#357)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
01-04-05 01:43 AM - Post#1821    

Tough game for Brown against a much bigger and more athletic PC. In addition, they had to do it without Forte in the second half.

PC outscored Brown 46-26 in the paint, and outrebounded them 50-33, and Gomes played an effortless 24 pt, 15 rebound, 5 steal and 4 assist game. It was too much.

Brown didn't shoot well either. PC blocked 12 shots, but Brown also missed a number of open jumpers and shots down low. They could have been more in this game if they just hit some of those. They ended up shooting 36%.

Brown looked very sloppy and lazy at times. In addition, Forte got a techical foul after a non-call, and Miller just benched him. He sat the last 18 minutes - and that pretty much did them in.

But there were bright spots.

A few times late, Brown had nobody but freshmen on the floor -- and they looked pretty good. Huffman, McAndrew and MacDonald played pretty solid second halves, and Coulibaly was aggressive going to the hoop. MacDonald blocked two shots and had two steals too.

In addition, PC played their starters most of the game. Gomes finished the game and PC did not let up, even full court pressing with only a few minutes left.

All that, and Brown still only lost by 16.

I would have liked to have seen Forte play that second half. Every time Brown plays a major opponent, Miller benches Forte for a spell. I understand and respect it -- but it's frustrating. Forte had a nice first half with 9 points and 3 assists - but the rest of the team seemed to just be watching him at times on offense.

A big surprise was Sam Manhanga, who played a strong second half with 8 points. Sam still isn't getting any elevation, and got numerous shots (layups, postups, jumpers) thrown back. But he once again had quick and strong moves to the hoop, and when he was matched up against the 6'10 Hanke, he really outplayed him. He also had some great hustle plays - which has to be exactly what Miller's got to be looking for out of him.

Watching Sam tonight made me think there's still a role for him on this team in the Ivy season. We'll see if tonight did anything to impact his position on the team.

Jeppesen didn't get off the bench, making me think he's out of the rotation. In fact, I didn't see him on the bench, but I wasn't looking.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Condor 
PhD Student

Re: PC 79-63 - some good, some bad
01-04-05 02:14 AM - Post#1822    
    In response to Bruno

I saw Brown (on TV) for the first time this year. I do not believe that the game was as close as the 16 point differential. However, I was impressed with what Miller has already accomplished with this young team. Providence was just too strong inside for Brown, or any Ivy team, as Penn found out earlier in a poor showing.

I understood Miller's decision to bench Forte after the T, but there must be a problem between the two for him to have benched him for the rest of the game. Miller seems to have a little Bobby Knight in him.

Bruno, I don't know what you liked about Manhanga's game. Yes, he made a number of moves inside, but without compunction for blocked shot after blocked shot. In fact, I lost count of how many times he got blocked.

Nevertheless, I thought Brown showed enough to make one think they could be a upper division Ivy team, and they should improve as the season progresses. Ruscoe has really improved. Forte plays out of control at times, but still appears to be the best PG in the league and might win another POY award assuming that Miller lets him play.

Counsellor 

Reg: 11-27-04
01-04-05 02:35 AM - Post#1823    
    In response to Condor

I too appreciated Coach Miller's message to Jason Forte after his technical, but benching him for the last 18 minutes ??!!! What's the point ? Glen himself was T'd in the Central Florida game; yet, he was not benched and continued to coach the game. Forte's techn. was out of frustration and for Coach Miller to reprimand for the whole 2nd half seems abnormally extreme especially considering the source of the reprimand.Brown would not have won the game with Forte playing in the 2nd half, but it came across as a bizarre coaching move and reflective a coach's ego and not done in the best interests of the team.

brownbruin 
Freshman

Loc: Connecticut
Reg: 11-22-04
01-04-05 02:38 AM - Post#1824    
    In response to Condor

I, too, saw the game on TV, this being the first time I have seen the team play. There is an obvious tense dynamic going on between Miller and Forte. Miller wants Forte's temper under control and has a zero tolerance for any outburst by Jason. It really seemed way overdone tonight, although it obviously was not possible to hear what Jason said to the ref to provoke the technical. Huffman and McAndrew played well and will only get better. PJ, at 6' 9", seems to play like he's 6' 4"; he's just not a presence inside off the boards and his offense is very lethargic and limited. While Becker is fast and can bring the ball upcourt, he tends to shoot bricks (although he did nail his first 3 tonight) and is a liability on the foul line. He is not the future of this team once Forte graduates. I agree with Condor's comments re Manhanga. He showed great heart and hustle tonight, but his limitations against guys who have several inches on him and who can jump were very much on display. The offensive core of the team appears to be Forte, Ruscoe, Huffman, McAndrew, McDonald, with PJ needing to step up his rebounding and inside presence, as his contributions will be key against the Ivies. Let's hope that Miller and Forte get in synch before the 14 game tournament begins.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Manhanga
01-04-05 01:10 PM - Post#1825    
    In response to brownbruin

My point on Manhanga is that while there's no doubt he gets it thrown a LOT - especially this year - he kept going to the hoop aggressively, got to the line (5 times in the second half), and gave Brown some presence down low. The majority of Brown's outside shots fell in that stretch in the second half because they had more open looks, because the defense didn't just have to be concerned about the three point line.

In Ivy play, Manhanga wouldn't be going up against the shot blockers he's seeing in many of the non-conference games. In the Ivies, with his strength and moves, I think he can have an impact on the low post. Hey, he's not a PF vs a Big East team -- but he can certainly be one in the Ivies.

It's just too bad he's so much heavier this year, because last year, as a wet-eared freshman, he got better elevation and didn't get nearly as many shots thrown back.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.167 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:19 AM