Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ohio        (Topic#7393)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
03-17-08 09:16 AM - Post#46813    

Not the most thrilling of opponents - I was hoping for someone from a big conference. That said, Ohio is very good, and is deadly at home at 12-1. And, they're among the best teams in this tournament.

These guys are very athletic, particularly for a team in the MAC. They are not particularly tall, but are brawny, and are a very good rebounding and perimeter defensive team. Lot of frenetic ball pressure and a lot of steals. They don't shoot it particularly well, but they do get to the line a lot.

Leon Williams is as tough a matchup as there could be for Brown. This is a big, tough kid who is pretty ferocious inside. Between he and Jerome Tillman, Brown will have their hands full inside - and I'm not sure if MacDonald is even going to start.

That said, this is exactly the type of team Brown should be able to exploit. The offense should be able to take advantage of overaggressiveness outside and get guys out of position. While brawny, these guys don't block a lot of shots, so once inside, we should be able to hit our layups or get to the line.

Defenisvely, I've no idea what we have going on. Bubba Walther is a streak shooting gunner, and you can't let him heat up. These guys spread the offense pretty equitably between outside and inside. That said, I would think Brown would be well served to alternate between the 1-3-1 trap and packing it in to throw some different looks at them.

Fun!
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

03-17-08 10:21 AM - Post#46820    
    In response to Bruno

Brown can win this game because Brown will likely be more motivated to play and the key to defending teams like Brown is motivation - you've got to WORK to get out on the shooters AND block/chase the cutters. If Ohio fans stay away in droves, Ohio may not feel like working that hard.

In fact, Brown could win this whole tournament if they're sharp.

Sure, these other teams will have more athletic, bigger players but if they're not interested in playing that will all be negated. Additionally, these teams are not that good - yes, these were all on the road but Ohio has already lost to 149 Holy Cross, 201 Bowling Green, 237 Eastern Michigan and 187 Toledo. Ohio's home court advantage will be minimized because this game won't be part of a season ticket package so it will all have to be walk-up for a not very exciting opponent (sorry Bruno) in a tournament no one has heard of. I'm picking Brown!

Bruno 
PhD Student

03-17-08 10:32 AM - Post#46822    
    In response to Howard Gensler

Yea, I wonder how MAC fans view a tournament like this. I mean, I'd have to believe they could pack their own house for the inaugural game of a new post-season tournament. I mean, the MAC isn't the Big East or SEC, where most of their teams regularly expect post-season plan.

But maybe Howard's right about the motivation factor. I know Brown is already totally fired up, and that can only help.

Also, I noticed that they lost to EMU on the road, which Brown crushed. So, I agree this is one Brown can win if the breaks fall their way. That said, they handled Cornell at home, something Brown couldn't do either time.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

03-17-08 12:19 PM - Post#46841    
    In response to Bruno

They handled Cornell on Nov. 17 in front of 4570. That's nowhere near a full house. They only drew 3211 when they played Akron at home at the the end of the season and I bet they don't draw anything close to that for the Brown game.

CUJacob 
Senior

Reg: 12-05-04
03-17-08 01:30 PM - Post#46856    
    In response to Howard Gensler

Cornell was a better team when they played Brown than they were when they played Ohio.

Given Ohio's short window to prepare for the Brown offense and the likelihood that Brown will be more motivated, I give the Bears a decent shot in this one-- they are certainly the more likely Ivy team to win a game in the postseason.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-17-08 01:45 PM - Post#46862    
    In response to CUJacob

I wonder if Mullary is heathly, he may be more important than MacDonald.

Bruno 
PhD Student

03-17-08 04:38 PM - Post#46892    
    In response to Old Bear

I agree Mullery would be a better fit vs. these guys defensively - plus, we'll need more bodies down there just to absorb all the fouls.

But, I would take a healthy Mark Mac over sending Friske out there alone to be backed up by freshman Chris Taylor. Don't get me wrong - I like both of those guys, but it's a little unfair to put those two into this situation.

You know, we haven't seen it in many seasons. But MacDonald is one guy who is capable of a big game. If he gets comfortable and into a groove, he could add some needed punch.

Dmon826 
Masters Student

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 01-15-06
03-18-08 01:50 AM - Post#46924    
    In response to Bruno

opening line of brown +8

Bruno 
PhD Student

03-18-08 09:45 AM - Post#46939    
    In response to Dmon826

I like that line for Brown! Brown is pretty tough on the road, and getting 8 feels like a good line for them.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

03-18-08 11:38 AM - Post#46970    
    In response to Bruno

Knock 'em dead! This Lion says, Go Bruins!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.146 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:52 AM