Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Brown beats Yale. Again.        (Topic#776)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
02-23-05 01:34 AM - Post#4839    

Well, this was a good game for Brown. And a bad loss for Yale.

The offense clicked for the first time in a long time. 19 assists on 25 field goals says it all. They also shockingly outrebounded Yale 36-31. They didn't shoot particularly well (42%) while Yale did (49%) - and that's encouraging. They didn't win just by outshooting the opponent. They took pretty good care of the ball, and the ball moved well.

Brilliant game by Miller. He seemed to be calling an inordinate number of set plays throughout the game that got Brown scoring. And that got Brown different looks at the basket than they've been getting, which got some of their confidence going again. That's an important game for Miller.

In the end, the big guys finally stepped up, and that really helped Brown hold off Yale. Luke must have been feeling better, because he carried Brown down the stretch. He had an and-one dunk, a jumper, and four key free throws in the last five minutes to win it. He finished with 15 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, 0 turnovers. What a game. See? That guy really matters, and we need him feeling well.

Forte also had a huge three and free throw in the final minutes, but missed a few other FT's, and didn't have a great shooting night, finishing 4-13 shooting, 13 points and a nice 6 assists.

Two freshmen played very well too. Huffman had a great first half and finished with 10 points. But the real surprise was Jeppesen, who's been having more of an impact lately. He was incredibly active, and finished with 13 points and a whopping 9 rebounds, 2 blocks and 2 steals. He was pretty relentless - getting a number of shots blocked, but he kept at it.

I don't know why Yale can't beat this team, but with the momentum they had coming off this weekend, playing at home, with the seniors wanting to beat Brown, say, once. Especially with Brown coming off of the two weekends they've had.

Kudos to Brown for winning a tough game against a tough team and a tough crowd. Very encouraging.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

TomPittsburgh 
maximus
TomPittsburgh
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Reg: 11-28-04
Re: Brown beats Yale. Again.
02-23-05 01:52 AM - Post#4840    
    In response to Bruno

Thank you and congratulations to the Bruins!

brownbruin 
Freshman

Loc: Connecticut
Reg: 11-22-04
02-23-05 03:09 AM - Post#4841    
    In response to Bruno

Good summary, Bruno. I just got back from New Haven. Credit Miller with a great coaching job. YaleEli, Miller flat-out outcoached Jones. Again. Team arrives in New Haven 30 minutes before the scheduled start, b/c of a late bus out of Providence. Yet, he had the offense running like a V-8 tonight. I said before the game that we had to have an answer for Dom Martin, and we didn't. But, we did have the best freshmen on the floor. I'll take Jeppesen and Huffman over Flato and Holmes, although Flato made a nice NBA 3 with under a minute to go to keep the game close. Ruscoe was huge, particularly after he missed a layup with a few minutes to go when we really needed it. Freshmen showed a lot of poise, particularly Jeppesen. My son and I sat next to Mike Martin and Pat Powers. Almost asked them to suit up as the game got tight near the end. All in all, a very nice motion offense from Miller and a real gutty performance by the boys, on the road and after losing ugly for four straight games. And the pizza at Pepe's before the game was great.

YaleEli 
goober

Loc: Greenwich, CT
Reg: 12-07-04
02-23-05 09:06 PM - Post#4842    
    In response to brownbruin

BrownBruin,

Yes, Brown did get a nice win against us last night. I can't figure out how we continue to lose to you guys even in our own back yard. Very puzzling. . .

But, are you going to say that Miller outcoached James Jones this entire Ivy season? You guys sit in last place in the Ivies and are playing out the string while we are in third place and not mathematically eliminated (although last night's lose puts us in Yankee/Red Sox ALCS territory--only a major choke on the part of Penn keeps us in the race).

I'll take my Jones to your Miller any day, especially considering the intangibles (recruiting, coaching personality)!

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
02-23-05 09:09 PM - Post#4843    
    In response to YaleEli

Of course you will, because in your eyes everything Yale is better than anything from any other ivy.

YaleEli 
goober

Loc: Greenwich, CT
Reg: 12-07-04
02-23-05 09:28 PM - Post#4844    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

"Of course you will, because in your eyes everything Yale is better than anything from any other ivy."

How do you make this jump from my previous post? I certainly don't think that "everything Yale is better. . ." rings true on the bb front nor in other areas as well. Don't think you know my views based on a discussion of Ivy League bb during the winter months. However, I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are zeroing in only on the bb "viewpoints" that have been posted on this site since that could only be the perspective that you have of my "ramblings".

I have been critical of Jones' scheduling this season as well as his inability to win the tough games when the season is on the line. However, I am not going to get on the "Fire Jones" bandwagon that has been articulated by others on their respective boards ("Fire Scott", "Replace Dunphy", etc.).

BrownBruin and I have a healthy disagreement on the respective strengths/weaknesses of our coaches. I just happen to like what Jones has done for the Yale program and will trumpet that support without reservation.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-23-05 09:54 PM - Post#4845    
    In response to YaleEli

I don't think there's any question that Jones has been good for the Yale program. I also don't think there's any question that Brown has been better than Yale over the last few years, and that their program was in worse shape when Miller took over. So the problem is with the comparison to Miller, not with your evaluation of Jones.

Redfish 
Masters Student
Redfish
Loc: under a bridge in Phoenix...
Reg: 11-26-04
02-23-05 10:56 PM - Post#4846    
    In response to YaleEli

The trout rises to take the fly again, with fury.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
02-24-05 03:30 AM - Post#4847    
    In response to Redfish

I suppose someone could do a Jones vs. Miller poll. Clearly Jones is having a better year than Miller but Brown has been decimated by graduations over the last two years. Notwithstanding Yale's one fine year in the three way championship, I think Miller has done better, overall. Yale hasn't really followed up on that, while Brown continued to play well in the league over the next couple of years. Between the two, I think Miller's the guy.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.187 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:41 PM