Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: another recruit        (Topic#8988)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
04-29-09 10:32 AM - Post#63025    

Dean Kowalski of St. Patrick's High School, NJ, 5'9"
article about one of his games:
http://www.nj.com/hssports/results/boys basketball/...
west coast fan

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
Re: another recruit
04-29-09 09:52 PM - Post#63048    
    In response to internetter

From ESPN:

St. Patrick guard headed to Ivy League
Dean Kowalski, a lockdown defensive-oriented guard from St. Patrick High in Elizabeth, N.J., said Tuesday he'll attend Columbia, ESPN.com's Chris Lawlor is reporting. Kowalski averaged 5 points, 4.8 assists and 2 steals for the Celtics (30-3), No. 3 in the ESPN RISE FAB 50 rankings, who captured their third New Jersey State Tournament of Champions title in the last four years in March.

"Dean is a extension of the coach and possesses a high basketball IQ," St. Patrick Coach Kevin Boyle said. "He usually covered the opponent's top scoring guard who was a high Division I player and would hold well below his average."

Kowalski, a Westfield, N.J. resident, will enter the Ivy League school with a 3.95 grade-point average (on a scale of 4). He chose the Lions over Colgate and American and was one of two St. Patrick players to start all 33 games this season (joining George Mason-bound forward Paris Bennett). Kowalski is the third member of his squad headed to a Division I school.

"Dean raises the level of play for any team he's been a part of," Boyle added.

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
05-01-09 10:35 AM - Post#63100    
    In response to hoopsfan

April 30, 2009

Jay Gomes
NJHoops.com Editor

Kowalski Makes His Choice

St. Patrick's Sr. Dean Kowalski has decided to attend Columbia of the Ivy League. NJ Hoops spoke with Kowalski on his college choice:
NJ Hoops

Dean Kowalski
NJ Hoops: Why did you decide on Columbia?

DK: It's a great school. It was the best school after me and one of the best schools in the world.

NJ Hoops: How do you like the coaches there?

DK: I really like them. Coach Jones is a great guy. He talks to me like a regular guy. He's very personable.

NJ Hoops: When did you decide?

DK: Last Thursday or Friday.

NJ Hoops: Was there one coach recruiting you more than the others? Or was it a group effort?

DK: Pretty much the whole staff

NJ Hoops: When did they start recruiting you?

DK: I don't remember specifically. I know they came up to a practice during the season.

NJ Hoops: What did they say your role would be?

DK: They didn't guarantee any playing time of course. They were straight forward. They said whoever works the hardest will play and that's how I like it too.

NJ Hoops: Did you visit the school?

DK: Yes I went to a game and walked around campus.

NJ Hoops: How was the campus?

DK: It's right in the middle of the city but yet it's isolated. It's like a gated community and right outside there is New York City.

NJ Hoops: Was the location a factor?

DK: Not really. I love my parents and everything but I was willing to go away.

NJ Hoops: Did you meet the players and how did you like them?

DK: I have not met any yet.

NJ Hoops: Was the school's academic reputation a factor?

DK: Very big. It was probably the biggest factor.

NJ Hoops: What were the other schools that you were considering?

DK: Them and Colgate. I went up to Colgate before that and had a good visit. Mike Venezia a real good friend from Westfield goes there.

NJ Hoops: Did you visit any other schools?

DK: I visited a lot of schools with my mom just to see them and the campuses. Not officially. And I also visited Penn.

NJ Hoops: What school sent you your first recruiting letter?

DK: It was Cornell my sophomore year.

NJ Hoops: There must have been some people along the way that helped you out in getting you the scholarship. Are there any people you want to thank?

DK: My parents for their support, Coach Boyle and Coach Chevannes at St. Pats and the players and supporters.

NJ Hoops: How does it feel to have the decision behind you?

DK: Relieving. Very relieving but exciting though.

NJ Hoops: You have had a great career in high school, camps, and AAU, are there any highlights that stand out?

DK: I would just say going out on top, winning the TOC as a senior. In my 4 years we won three of them but this year I was a starter.

NJ Hoops: How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

DK: 5-foot-9 and still growing, 155-160 lbs.

NJ Hoops: What would you say are your strengths and what would you say you had to continue to improve on?

DK: My strengths are my basketball IQ and ballhandling. I can work on shooting consistently.

NJ Hoops: Thanks and best wishes. It's good to see all the hard work pay off.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
05-01-09 07:38 PM - Post#63145    
    In response to hoopsfan

Smart kid from an outstanding high school basketball program. I saw him play one game on TV and he handled the ball very well. Excellent passer. Difficult to assess his scoring ability, because that was not his role in high school. As the story indicates, Kowalski realizes that he has to become a consistent outside shooter to be factor in the Ivy League. I hope he succeeds.

AndreG 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-28-07
05-01-09 11:46 PM - Post#63149    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

2 point guards added this season. Like I had mentioned in the other thread about the other PG recruit, I am very happy that Columbia appears to be trying to solve the point guard situation. It has been the achilles heel for Columbia. If either recruit turns out to be as good as the reports, Columbia will be much better for it.

CU.LIONS 
Senior

Reg: 03-03-07
05-02-09 07:29 PM - Post#63163    
    In response to AndreG

All 3 recruits have been on Campus and played against the Columbia team at one point. It's to my understanding that the 2 guards coming in are, well to say it nicely, may not be playing much anytime soon.

The 6'7 kid on the other hand was very impressive and will have impact potential. Or so I hear.

skiba34 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-11-06
another recruit
05-02-09 11:24 PM - Post#63164    
    In response to CU.LIONS

The funny thing about getting two more point guards is what does that say about the three point guards Columbia just picked up this past season?

That's five point guards in a twelve month stretch.

Now that I think about it, wasn't here another guard who committed as well?

Dr. V 
PhD Student

05-04-09 03:03 AM - Post#63207    
    In response to skiba34

I'm not sure whom we're talking about. Based on what's been published, there are 4 or 5 recruits: two front court players: Cisco, who is 6'8" and Daniels, who is 6'7"; and two or maybe three guards: Barbour, Piscina (sp?) and Kowalski. Kowalski said he did not play with anyone on our present team.

CU.LIONS 
Senior

05-05-09 08:47 PM - Post#63260    
    In response to Dr. V

Let me try to clarify my comments. Daniels was said, to be very impressive. There wasn't any comments on Cisco. Kowalski may not have played at the time of the article, but he and the other incoming guards were said to be "not too good". I will double check my info when I get a chance. But at least 2 of the incoming guards have played.

CU.LIONS 
Senior

05-05-09 09:10 PM - Post#63261    
    In response to CU.LIONS

I now have further clarification. Kowalski should not have been included with the other 2 guards. He has not been seen yet. But something still doesn't make sense. Columbia has 13 returning players:

Max, Zach, Asenso, Grimes, Assa, Staub, Johnson, Agho, Scott, Foley, Bulger, Egee and Crocket.

With 5 incoming freshman, 3 players will not make the team. Unless Columbia gets hit with the injury bug again.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
05-06-09 03:36 PM - Post#63277    
    In response to CU.LIONS

To the best of my knowledge, the Ivy League imposes no restrictions on the number of players on the roster of any athletic team. For basketball, what that means is that most of the Ivy League teams seem to try to start the season with at least eighteen players on the roster. In fact, in Cornell's case, the Big Red seems to be projecting at least twenty players on next year's roster before walk-ons; i.e., assuming no attrition and cuts. Considering that Columbia had so many players seriously injured last season, I would be surprised if Coach Jones does not add at least one more recruited player in the next few weeks. From the write-ups on the internet, it appears that at least Penn and Columbia are still actively recruiting for the coming year. We haven't read anything official yet whether St. Benedict's sharpshooting guard, Steve Frankosi, has committed to Columbia and there are a couple of other uncommitted players who expressed interest publicly in Columbia.

AndreG 
Sophomore

05-09-09 07:42 PM - Post#63340    
    In response to CU.LIONS

• CU.LIONS Said:
Let me try to clarify my comments. Daniels was said, to be very impressive. There wasn't any comments on Cisco. Kowalski may not have played at the time of the article, but he and the other incoming guards were said to be "not too good". I will double check my info when I get a chance. But at least 2 of the incoming guards have played.

I certainly hope you were mis-informed. There is no point in bringing in a boatload of guards if none can help solve the problems Columbia has at point. Let's hope Kowalski turns out to be as good as advertised.

skiba34 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-11-06
05-15-09 08:47 PM - Post#63469    
    In response to AndreG

If Kowalski lists himself at 5'9, he is probably 5'8 or less. I wouldn't expect much out of him. 5 points per game on the high school level isn't too impressive either.

As far as Columbia having 18 or more players seems quite unfair. Only 15 can dress. Expect players to quit or get pushed out. I've lost count but it seems at least half a dozen have "quit" in the last few years alone.

AndreG 
Sophomore

05-16-09 11:53 PM - Post#63478    
    In response to skiba34

If he can at least distribute the ball to the scorers without turning the ball over and play good defense, he might help. Although I must admitt skiba34, you have given me reason to doubt.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
05-18-09 10:44 AM - Post#63484    
    In response to AndreG

5'8" and defense don't go together.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
05-18-09 02:24 PM - Post#63487    
    In response to Old Bear

True, enough But, recall that Alton Byrd, '79, listed at 5'9" (probably smaller), holds records for career assists (526) and assists in a single season (210.)

He didn't make it to the NBA but went to England where, according to Wiki, he soon blossomed into a major star: thanks to his exciting style of play and his compelling personality, he became the most famous basketball player in Britain.
west coast fan

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
05-18-09 06:00 PM - Post#63489    
    In response to internetter

Mugsey (sp?) was shorter.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.156 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:16 AM