Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Rest of PreSeason        (Topic#9788)
IvyBballFan 
Masters Student

Loc: Central Florida
Reg: 11-19-09
12-21-09 10:38 PM - Post#71210    

Hey LionKing, CULion, skiba34, Internetter, and the rest of you CU fans! The remainder of the Lions’ games are against Quinnipiac(@), Maine, American, Lafayette(@), and St. Francis-NY. All rank in the lowest one-third of D-1, no matter how one slices it. Over on the Princeton board, they’re thinking the Tigers might well take a big winning streak into their league opener. What are the chances that the Lions run the table and become yet a fourth Ivy team with a very pretty non-league record, that contributes to getting the league above .500 in the non-con schedule?

Other than catching more of the mysterious malaise that seems to grip the team from time to time (e.g., StonyBrook, Sacred Heart) I don’t see a reason why it can’t happen. With newcomers Ampim, Cisco, Daniels, and Grimes on the job upfront, the Lions are doing pretty well on the offensive boards and it seems as if a couple guys are always there to have a good night. With (deadeye) Agho, Bulger, Egee, Foley, and Scott in the backcourt, there are enough guns that the same seems true.

I have always thought the 2009-10 version of the Lions had the potential to make some noise in the league. Now that we’re two-thirds of the way there, what are your thoughts? Could the Lions make the post-season? Are they in a position to benefit again this year in league play from having Cornell as a traveling partner? I haven't even mentioned Max Craig yet; is he still due back for the league opener?

skiba34 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-11-06
Rest of PreSeason
12-22-09 01:04 AM - Post#71218    
    In response to IvyBballFan

You are right in that that Columbia can and should beat everyone leading to the Ivies.

BUT my problem is why is Columbia playing so many cupcakes? How is that going to help leading in to the Ivies. Harvard and Cornell continue to play a much tougher overall schedule. Cornell in case anyone didn't catch it, just beat St Johns after beating Davidson a day earlier.

In the meantime Columbia finds ways to squeak by the "botom third" or dead last teams in D1.

Even American at 3 and 9 beat DePaul at DePaul. Making Syracuse the only "shouldn't beat" on the entire schedule for Columbia.

Not good at all.

CU.LIONS 
Senior

Reg: 03-03-07
Rest of PreSeason
12-22-09 01:25 AM - Post#71220    
    In response to skiba34

I'm not sure about Craig, not even sure if the Lions know for sure, but I hear he may play this Wednesday and definitely by the start of the League.

Based on the shedules of other Ivy teams, Cornell and Harvard do play a much tougher pre-conference schedule. The rest are not that much different. But I do have to agree with Skiba. Playing a much tougher schedule can only help prepare teams coming in to league time.

Not really sure why Columbia plays such a soft schedule. Would like to know iof it's their choice, or if it's out of their control.

But regardless, I just hope the Lions can make the most of however they play, help themselves as well as the League overall. Which up untill tonight is playing far better this year than last year.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
12-22-09 02:00 AM - Post#71221    
    In response to CU.LIONS

Quinnipiac, as I've written, is not a pushover, especially having to be played after the exam break and in their gym.
The BR win vs. St. John's was very impressive, as Wittman and Dale were relatively quiet, but Jaques and Foote were 15 for 18 between them, with Jaques hitting vital threes.
west coast fan

skiba34 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-11-06
12-22-09 02:54 AM - Post#71223    
    In response to internetter

• internetter Said:
The BR win vs. St. John's was very impressive, as Wittman and Dale were relatively quiet, but Jaques and Foote were 15 for 18 between them, with Jaques hitting vital threes.

Just finished watching the game, impressive may be an understatement. Where did Jaques come from? 7 for eight including 5 of 6 from 3! this is the starting big forward. That gives Cornell 4 very capable shooters in the lineup around the top center. The entire team moves the ball so beautifully to the open player. That is a well coached team. Offensively shooting at 57% against a BigEast school with 2 of their best players "being relatively quiet" is really an accomplishment that can not be overstated.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
12-22-09 09:52 AM - Post#71232    
    In response to skiba34

Yes, I thought Cornell was very impressive and deserved to win, but St. John's looked absolutely lost on offense and allowed Foote to go one-on one the entire game. The Johnies had no inside game whatsover, failed to apply full court pressure on defense, and did not know how to penetrate the zone. Still, Foote and Jacques were both amazing. To beat Cornell, you need to either get Foote in foul trouble,use a transition game,or apply full court pressure. What gives with Dale. He played poorly. The announcers thought that he had a problem with his stamina, but maybe he was just having an off night. Is he ok?

IvyBballFan 
Masters Student

Loc: Central Florida
Reg: 11-19-09
Re: st of PreSeason
12-23-09 12:19 AM - Post#71300    
    In response to skiba34

• skiba34 Said:
My problem is why is Columbia playing so many cupcakes? How is that going to help leading in to the Ivies? Harvard and Cornell continue to play a much tougher overall schedule...

In the meantime Columbia finds ways to squeak by the "botom third" or dead last teams in D1.

Yes, the game @Quinnipiac appears to be the toughest to me, too. “Toughest” for Columbia this year means “most likely to catch that late game malaise that turns a W into another d*&n, silly loss!”

Skiba34, I share your concern about this year’s “cupcake” schedule. IMO, for the moment, Lion fans just have to look past that and realize that, in some sense over a period of time, teams appear to “earn” the right to play a better non-con schedule by going 10-4 or 11-3 against slates like this. “Better” teams want their fans to see them playing “better” teams. It's a bit of a vicious circle. The Lions must show they are one of those “better teams” by posting a 10-4 non-con record and coming home above .500 in the league.

OK, Blue! Let’s get out on the court and run the non-con table! Some “better teams” will then come calling. Columbia may even be able to use their location to schedule home-and-home with teams already in town for a date with another area team. There may also be some one-and-done AWAY “series.”

I predict that a better Lions’ team will embrace the opportunity to upgrade the pre-season schedule.

LionFan 
Senior

Reg: 11-07-06
Re: st of PreSeason
12-23-09 11:55 AM - Post#71330    
    In response to IvyBballFan

I guess we've all wondered about the schedule. I suspect part of the issue may be financial -- playing locals to keep travel costs and time down; part may be scheduling -- the difficulty getting better teams to agree to home and home contracts; and part may be perceived balance -- some big games so the players can test themselves, but not risking a string of big losses that becomes demoralizing. Finally, there's the problem of not knowing who will be up or down when the game agreements are made, often several years in advance. For example, both Wagner and American have had some very good teams recently. This year they're both down -- very down. That's not really predictable.

Given CU's recent records, the non-con schedule appears to be at an appropriate level for the team. The first step is beating the guys you're supposed to beat. Then you can move up and try competing with the next level. For the last several years, CU has seemed to be on the cusp of that transition, unable to make the move. The next few games are another opportunity for Columbia to do it -- if they are capable. Then again, maybe the AD just decided to keep the team relatively small and local, competitive at its level but not aspiring to more?

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.262 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:31 AM