Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Things Classier than Princeton        (Topic#11740)
Cotton Mather 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 03-08-11
03-08-11 02:16 AM - Post#99418    

Hi all. New to the board, and I thought it would be good to come out swinging.

I thought the game was fantastic Saturday night, the only negative being what I perceived to be some dirty play and fan taunting by some of the Princeton team. Rather than complain, I thought it best to have some fun with it.

So...here are a few things classier than Princeton...(all in good fun, of course)...

Tree murderer Harvey Alborn Updyke

Jersey Shore Ronnie

Pontiac Fieros

Bernie Madoff

"Sexy" Big Bird Halloween Costumes

K-Fed (we can still call him that, right?)

Roofies

What did I leave out?

LinLover 
Pre-Frosh

Re: Things Classier than Princeton
03-08-11 02:22 AM - Post#99419    
    In response to Cotton Mather

Great subject, Cotton. I'm not sure what the memory requirements are on this server, but I'm pretty sure we won't be able to list the 300,000 or so items that would qualify in this group. But we can start:

Tila Tequila

a pitcher of $5 Red Dog from the Grille

Sheen's goddesses

Massasoit Community College

Pete Carrill's corpse (too soon?)

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
03-08-11 02:56 AM - Post#99420    
    In response to LinLover

Hmm.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-09-09
03-08-11 09:41 AM - Post#99431    
    In response to gokinsmen

Are you two the same person?

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
03-08-11 09:48 AM - Post#99433    
    In response to cornellfan4

Does Princeton these days do the ersatz NBA shtick that only the most classless college teams pull: playing bad canned music before each half at home games, while its real, live band sits there looking stupid with its thumbs up their butts? Because I know I've seen that at Lavietes.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
03-08-11 10:23 AM - Post#99439    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Pathetic. For the entire season Harvard has virtually no fans on this board, despite probably having the best team in the school's history. The only notable exceptions are Mike James and some guy who likes to accuse people of 'borderline racism.' Finally, a couple come scuttling out from under the bathroom sink to talk some trash. And they couldn't even manage to be amusing.

So what's classier than Princeton? Certainly not Harvard.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-08-11 11:05 AM - Post#99450    
    In response to Silver Maple

To be fair, I know a lot of folks that would post on these boards, but they sorta see this place as a bunch of Penn fans and don't bother.

I've been saying this for years and it's why Jake ultimately divided the boards by teams - it's not the most inviting environment for non-Penn fans.

That's not to say it's right or wrong, just sort of a fact of these boards.

Also, as a side note, I understand none of what's been said in this thread. It might be an inside joke or something.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

03-08-11 11:57 AM - Post#99464    
    In response to mrjames

This board IS a bunch of Penn fans, but we can still have fun at their expense.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Things Classier than Princeton
03-08-11 12:16 PM - Post#99471    
    In response to Old Bear

Penn fans, yes. But you have to admit, we're pretty lovable in a curmudgeonly sort of way.

As for Mike's 'nobody goes there because it's a bunch of Penn fans' excuse, I have no sympathy for that. In fact, I'd expect way more from students and graduates of America's most prestigious institution of higher learning. Where's the resolve? Where's that famous Crimson 'can-do' spirit? Don't you guys remember what Shaw wrote about the unreasonable man? Don't you remember the stirring speech that one of those idi0t Winklevi makes about 'men of Harvard' in The Social Network? All my hopes for the future of this great nation (not to mention the world) lie with you Harvard guys. Please don't disappoint me.

Edited by Silver Maple on 03-08-11 12:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tiger86 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-10-11
03-08-11 03:22 PM - Post#99510    
    In response to LinLover

pathetic. is this what passes for clever at harvard?

H78 
PhD Student
H78
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 01-06-11
03-08-11 05:19 PM - Post#99540    
    In response to Silver Maple

• Silver Maple Said:
Pathetic. For the entire season Harvard has virtually no fans on this board, despite probably having the best team in the school's history. The only notable exceptions are Mike James and some guy who likes to accuse people of 'borderline racism.' Finally, a couple come scuttling out from under the bathroom sink to talk some trash. And they couldn't even manage to be amusing.

So what's classier than Princeton? Certainly not Harvard.

Re: The first 2 posts on this string:

A. Someone's pranking (H. Lampoon style?)

B. If they're not, it shows remarkably bad taste, Ivy Leaguer or not.

These posts are probably from the same person, as cornellfan2011 notes. I think they were written just to get a rise out of people, which they clearly have.

Re: The quoted post

You're right about the first 2 posters crawling out but I think they came from beneath a more malodorous bathroom fixture than a sink.

You're also right about there being a dearth of Harvard fans on this board. I believe it's because this board's postings are predominantly non-Harvard alums, apparently from other Ivy schools, who (in all fairness) like to go after the Harvard folks. I found myself being accused of recruiting violations based on an innocent contact with one verbal commit, and I now hide in the corner when I go to high school basketball games, for fear that I may be accused, as someone has said, being the second coming of Jim Harrick.

Curmodgeonly is one thing, immature and in poor taste (like the first two postings in this thread) is even worse. And, neither is becoming to a posting on these boards. How about a little live & let live?

I'm venturing back onto this Board after telling Mike that I was going to walk away, because perhaps a bit of positive energy and enthusiasm is what we all need, no matter to which school we went, or to which board we post.

Whoever makes it to the NCAA's (and I hope it's both H&P, whatever the outcomes this week) should be supported by all Ivy grads, because it's the right thing to do, and the smart thing as well, as a rising tide will lift all our ships. I was a huge fan last March of the Cornell team and their foray into the Sweet 16.

Here's to Harvard and Princeton and here's to the institution of Ivy League Basketball!

P.S. It would have been great if no one had responded to these first two postings. That would have made quite a statement as to their irrelevance to the subject and today's game. They would have been perceived as (forgive me Dartmouth alums) "voices crying out in the wilderness".

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

03-08-11 05:53 PM - Post#99544    
    In response to H78

The original poster might not even be a Harvard fan, just someone trying to be a stereotypical Harvard person and make Harvard look bad

Dont let the posters on here scare you away, the board could use some more non Penn fans

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
03-08-11 05:58 PM - Post#99547    
    In response to cornellfan4

I don't mind "bandwagoners" (everyone's gotta join sometime) or even some trash-talking. It just was aggressively unfunny in this case and awkward for everyone involved.

Does seem like a troll, though. Or possibly drunk-posting.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
03-08-11 07:03 PM - Post#99557    
    In response to gokinsmen

• gokinsmen Said:
Does seem like a troll, though. Or possibly drunk-posting.

I agree.

Also, I watched the game, and I think the statement was overblown about "fan taunting by some of the Princeton team".

I don't mind a little interplay between players and the crowd. Particularly since these players have to get up the next morning, finish problem sets, write papers, and study for upcoming midterms (without team-assigned tutors like at some of the "high major" schools).

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

03-08-11 07:11 PM - Post#99560    
    In response to H78

What can be wrong with players taunting the fans, it can only hurt the player by them getting distracted or trying to show off

Cotton Mather 
Pre-Frosh

03-08-11 08:16 PM - Post#99570    
    In response to H78

• H78 Said:

These posts are probably from the same person, as cornellfan2011 notes. I think they were written just to get a rise out of people, which they clearly have.

You're right about the first 2 posters crawling out but I think they came from beneath a more malodorous bathroom fixture than a sink.

Lighten up, Francis.

It was a joke, in good fun. Like a lot of message boards.

I don't need to produce my bona fides but I have been a Harvard athletic supporter for about 20 years, financially for about 13.

And I have been watching this year, last year, the year before, the Frank Sullivan years (Dave Demian in the house!).

Part of rivalries is poking fun at others. Doesn't sound like this board is much into that, so I'll kindly walk away and go back to discussing the game and the season with the group of fans and alumni I keep in touch with.

No harm, no foul. Just trying to have some fun. You guys aren't into that. Lesson learned.

For tonight. Let's go Quakers.

P.S. I am not LinLover and don't know the story there. I think any half decent board tech could run an IP search and confirm that pretty quickly.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
03-08-11 10:35 PM - Post#99688    
    In response to Cotton Mather

• Cotton Mather Said:
  • H78 Said:

Lighten up, Francis.

It was a joke, in good fun. Like a lot of message boards.

I don't need to produce my bona fides but I have been a Harvard athletic supporter for about 20 years, financially for about 13.

And I have been watching this year, last year, the year before, the Frank Sullivan years (Dave Demian in the house!).

Part of rivalries is poking fun at others. Doesn't sound like this board is much into that, so I'll kindly walk away and go back to discussing the game and the season with the group of fans and alumni I keep in touch with.

No harm, no foul. Just trying to have some fun. You guys aren't into that. Lesson learned.

For tonight. Let's go Quakers.

P.S. I am not LinLover and don't know the story there. I think any half decent board tech could run an IP search and confirm that pretty quickly.

Cotton,

My impression is that your idea of "fun" and "humor" consists of name calling ("Francis") and insults to a well-regarded institution like Princeton (see your post). While I can't speak for others on the board, to quote your own words, I'm "not into that".

It's ironic you're saying you'll "kindly walk away" because you walked in hurling insults and calling names. Had you entered by "discussing the game and the season", as you now propose to do with others, I think you would have been received differently here.

The folks on these boards do lots of back-and-forth jibing, and most can take a joke, but when they do it, it's generally about the game, the players, the coaches and the league. Not hurling undeserved insults (come on, Bernie Madoff?). I may want the Harvard team to kick Princeton's a**, but I respect the hell out of that school, and the other Ivies, and I think you should too, particularly if you graduated from Harvard 20+ years ago, because you know the value of an Ivy League education and how hard it is to achieve.

Tiger86 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-10-11
03-08-11 10:54 PM - Post#99692    
    In response to H78

I do think its big of Cotton to admit that he's an "athletic supporter" though.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
03-08-11 10:56 PM - Post#99693    
    In response to Tiger86

• Tiger86 Said:
I do think its big of Cotton to admit that he's an "athletic supporter" though.

LMAO......a "Cotton" one, no less...

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-09-11 10:25 AM - Post#99748    
    In response to H78

I actually liked it when Mavraides was giving it to the Harvard student section. Anything that adds drama and intrigue to Ivy basketball games, I'm all for.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.117 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:43 AM