Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Username Post: Pennsylvania        (Topic#27100)
jeromelh 
Junior

Reg: 03-30-17
Re: Pennsylvania
03-07-23 08:32 PM - Post#353405    
    In response to penn nation

So what has he added? His game is offense which has improved. I never denied that. He still isn't much of a passer and can't play much defense. When he is not hitting his shots, Penn suffers and that was apparent last weekend.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
03-07-23 08:39 PM - Post#353406    
    In response to jeromelh

• jeromelh Said:
Hi Chip
You are still missing my point. When this debate began, I never criticized Dingle's offense and that it didn't get better. It is his lack of assists, poor defense, and mediocre passing. This has not improved.
I don't know who the POY should be, honestly. However, Tosan has never been a great scorer and I regret that he has never developed a 10-15 foot jumper. However, he leads that Ivy League in assists. He has an uncanny ability to find the open man. His assist level would even be higher if the Tigers were a better 3 point shooting team. He is also a superb defensive player.
If you want to claim that Dingle is a much better offensive player than Tosan, you won't get any argument from me.

Right, you’re not criticizing his offense, except you are because you’re criticizing hs assist #s, which you’re then doubling up on by also also criticizing his passing (I’d really love to know what’s wrong with the Dingle passes that don’t result in assists).

Dingle is not a poor defender. He is an adequate defender who could be better. In the same way Tosan has multiple parts of his overall game which could be better.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-07-23 09:21 PM - Post#353408    
    In response to jeromelh

• jeromelh Said:
So what has he added? His game is offense which has improved. I never denied that. He still isn't much of a passer and can't play much defense. When he is not hitting his shots, Penn suffers and that was apparent last weekend.

He has considerably added to his offensive arsenal each and every season. This season he has gotten to the line, by far, more than any Ivy player and made 24 more FTs in conference play than his nearest competitor. That is quite remarkable considering what his game was like as a freshman.

palestra38 
Professor

03-07-23 09:28 PM - Post#353409    

Dingle plays defense, gets rebounds and handles the ball. There is no legitimate criticism of his game at this level. He is the best player in the League, playing on a team that has no other really physical specimens. So he gets beaten up and still puts up numbers that far out-match anyone else. It's not any criticism of any other player--but Jordan Dingle would make Yale or Princeton an undefeated team in this League.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-07-23 10:09 PM - Post#353411    
    In response to palestra38

Undoubtedly his efficiency would be off the charts if he didn't have to have the level of usage required to keep Penn in games. He looks to be in excellent physical condition, but anybody not at NBA levels of fitness and physical maturity would tire out somewhat in that role.

Maybe it's just because I don't care very much about all these individual awards, but I have no problem with Dingle getting voted POY. Tosan had an excellent year, and if the Tigers manage to execute a season sweep of Penn, an exorcism against Yale, and a good performance or shocker in the Big Dance, all of this will be long forgotten. If they don't, then complaints will also seem beside the point.

palestra38 
Professor

03-07-23 10:12 PM - Post#353412    
    In response to SRP

Yes. I'm with you on the insignificance of individual Ivy awards. I just was taken aback on the attack on Dingle's game. He is a great player. No objective person can really dispute that.

But I would trade it all for one basket in the last 3 minutes last Saturday.

penn nation 
Professor

03-07-23 10:13 PM - Post#353414    
    In response to SRP

I don't know what Dingle's ORAT or efficiency rating was for the first half of Saturday's game, but both had to be off the charts. He still ended up a pretty decent ORAT (better than Tosan) for the game despite running out of gas, primarily because he was unconscious in the first 20 minutes.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-07-23 10:17 PM - Post#353416    

One thing underrated about NBA superstars IMO is their ability to play hard for so many minutes (even in these days of "load management"--if anything that makes them work harder when they do hit the court).

I think I was first struck by this years ago at a game where Kevin Garnett was visiting the Mavs while playing for the Timberwolves. He wasn't only super-talented, he was involved in the outcome of every possession on both sides of the ball, like a giant Energizer Bunny. Antetekoumpo is similar in that respect. And you could see, toward the end of last year, when Chris Paul's age was maybe catching up to him a little bit and he couldn't expend the same two-way effort deep into playoff series.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-07-23 10:27 PM - Post#353419    
    In response to jeromelh

You stated he hadn’t improved. Full stop. You didn’t specify offense or defense. Now you’ve backtracked to say he improved on offense and not on defense. Great (though you then proceed to nonetheless question his passing , which is part of, you know, offense).

On the passing thing, note that his assist percentage is higher than any Princeton player other than Tosan. He isn’t elite, but he is a good passer.

We’ve probably gone around the circle enough on defense, but I’ll reiterate — he has improved a lot over 3 years.

penn nation 
Professor

03-07-23 10:45 PM - Post#353420    
    In response to SRP

This is why Michael Jordan will always be #1 in my book. He was "on" for every single game, well aware that for some this was the first time they would see him perform--and perform he did, night in and night out.

He never, ever, took a night off. He was the ultimate competitor and took basketball to new heights, figuratively and literally, in the process. And as unbelievable as he was in the regular season, he was unsurpassed in the playoffs.

• SRP Said:
One thing underrated about NBA superstars IMO is their ability to play hard for so many minutes (even in these days of "load management"--if anything that makes them work harder when they do hit the court).

I think I was first struck by this years ago at a game where Kevin Garnett was visiting the Mavs while playing for the Timberwolves. He wasn't only super-talented, he was involved in the outcome of every possession on both sides of the ball, like a giant Energizer Bunny. Antetekoumpo is similar in that respect. And you could see, toward the end of last year, when Chris Paul's age was maybe catching up to him a little bit and he couldn't expend the same two-way effort deep into playoff series.

penn nation 
Professor

03-08-23 12:10 AM - Post#353421    

• palestra38 Said:
It's not any criticism of any other player--but Jordan Dingle would make Yale or Princeton an undefeated team in this League.

Yeah, our Princeton colleagues don't seem to grasp this. I've made the point before in the opposite direction in that there is zero chance Penn makes the ILT the past couple of years without Dingle. There is so much pressure on him each and every game.

Edited by penn nation on 03-08-23 12:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-08-23 12:19 AM - Post#353423    

Ok. Your guy is a great player. He earned POY. Give it a rest and play on your own board.

penn nation 
Professor

03-08-23 12:52 AM - Post#353427    
    In response to TigerFan

The Penn board gets visits from Princetonians. We've yet to ask any to leave it despite numerous disagreements on various Princeton-Penn related matters.

LocalTiger 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-15-17
03-08-23 09:52 AM - Post#353439    

Penn must have a course in rewriting history as part of the core.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
03-08-23 10:34 AM - Post#353455    
    In response to LocalTiger

I have visited the Penn board on several occasions, but not to criticize the players, coaches or Penn's passionate posters. I believe SD is an excellent coach and I said on many occasions that Dingle should be POY. Tosan had a better year last season because he had a better team. Penn posters frequently engage in "discussions" well beyond their sell-by date, but that's just the passion showing.

palestra38 
Professor

03-08-23 10:47 AM - Post#353461    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

[and the age of the posters]

penn nation 
Professor

03-08-23 10:53 AM - Post#353462    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

Right, it's not a blanket statement about all Princeton posters (and the same is true for Penn posters).

We're a diverse lot.

jeromelh 
Junior

Reg: 03-30-17
03-08-23 11:35 AM - Post#353465    

None of this was meant to be an attack. I was trying to point out what he needed to improve on to get to the next level. I regret making my first post and will not discuss further

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-08-23 06:33 PM - Post#353491    
    In response to jeromelh

I've heard around 5,000 tickets have been sold already for Saturday's mens' games, with several hundred already sold in the 300 level. Looking forward to the games! Go Tigers!

(Awaiting the inevitable competitive posts from Quacker fans about how superior they believe their tomb in West Philly is...)

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
03-08-23 06:41 PM - Post#353495    
    In response to TigerFan

Their " tomb" is superior

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.367 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:36 PM