Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Ouch        (Topic#4671)
BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
12-30-06 01:54 PM - Post#26589    

Definitely the worst loss in the past four years! My tickets I bought last week for tonight's game will not be for as exciting of a game as I anticipated...

I don't think there are any positives to take away from a loss like that, but if you had to find one, hopefully it will serve as a good motivator/wake up call going into the games that matter. Byerly (or whoever was doing the color after the game) made a good comment in that the team cannot run away from this loss. Being in a hotel all night could be a good time for a team meeting to get some fire back going into league play.

On a side note, it looks like Vegotsky was the go to guy again, hitting what could've been the game winning 4 point play.

It's better to have a performance like this against Central Arkansas than Navy or American next week!

It's funny...Playing teams with "kansas" in the name, we beat Arkansas, we beat Kansas, and we lose to Central Arkansas!

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Re: Ouch
12-30-06 02:39 PM - Post#26590    
    In response to BUFan

BUFan breaks our stunned silence.

I suppose ericatbucknell can tell us how devastating an RPI hit this represents. A positive: Listening via SportsJuice, I thought the Bison fans sounded very impressive down the stretch.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
12-30-06 06:08 PM - Post#26591    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Quote:

BUFan breaks our stunned silence.

I suppose ericatbucknell can tell us how devastating an RPI hit this represents. A positive: Listening via SportsJuice, I thought the Bison fans sounded very impressive down the stretch.

Worse, this is a triple RPI hit. Just playing Central Arkansas was bad for the RPI due to their bad record. Losing the game hurt the RPI a second time. And now we have to play another team with a mediocre record (Northern Illinois) on a neutral court, instead of playing a team with a good record as an away game which would be worth 1.4 wins if we won it.

This is definitely the worst loss in over two years, worse than the road loss to Navy when Pat was on medical leave. The only one that might come close was the homecourt loss to St Francis just over two years ago.

I think our chance of an NIT bid should we not win the league just went away for good. If we play well enough in league to get the RPI back into the 80's then we'll probably win it anyway.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
12-30-06 07:52 PM - Post#26592    
    In response to Bison137

UGH!!!

Bisonsquared 
Sophomore

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 12-30-06
12-30-06 08:27 PM - Post#26593    
    In response to bison63

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say hi. I've been reading these posts annonomously pretty regularly, and thought I'd join in the fun. I agree that last night's loss was pretty bad. But, after speaking to one of the players, the good news is that they realize it, and are ready to make ammends. Can't wait to see them turn it around tonight and look forward to being a part of the spirited discussion!

VictoryGallop 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-25-06
12-30-06 10:19 PM - Post#26594    
    In response to Bisonsquared

If you look at the Central Arkansas Web site, they were absolutely pumped to play this game. It was a highlight of their schedule. That's a tribute to how far Bucknell has come, but it also is a warning that every team Bucknell plays will bring their 'A' game.

RPI becomes irrelevant now. Bucknell needs to win three games in March, ideally at home. But yes, this loss will turn Bucknell, even as PL champ, from about a 12 seed to probably a 14 or 15 seed ...

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
12-31-06 01:32 PM - Post#26595    
    In response to VictoryGallop

Well, I was at the game yesterday, and it was a dominating performance. We built the lead early and never let it slip away. The best part about the game was we didn't rely on the 3. I think it took until we had about 30 points to knock down a three. Defensively, we looked sharp. With the exception of one or two lapses (letting a big man wide open under the basket), UNI got very few open shots. Mastropaolo looked great on D. Had a nice block or two, took a hard charge, and generally shut down their tall, lanky big man.

While it was inferior competition, it was still a huge win. They clearly put the Central Arkansas lost behind them and got back on track going into league play. In my mind, if we want the top seed in the league, Navy and American at home are must wins, so hopefully this will get us off on the right foot.

Also, it felt like the game was in Sojka. Despite the loss on Friday, the entire bleachers running one whole sideline was packed with orange. Marist must've been disappointed to see 300-400 fans head for the exits before their game. There were probably as many BU fans there as Marist was going to have for the nightcap.

I have a feeling Marist wanted to play BU. I wouldn't be surprised to see BU sign a home and home with them next year...Especially after they see what sort of ticket sales our fans can give them

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
12-31-06 01:35 PM - Post#26596    
    In response to BUFan

Also, the good UNI just won at Wichita State after beating Bradley in the MVC opener. That will help conteract some of the harm created by the Central Arkansas loss!

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
01-01-07 11:42 AM - Post#26597    
    In response to BUFan

The bottom line is that despite the last two years lofty status, those of us who have been fans of this program for the last 30 years or so know that year in and year out it is not our national rep that matters, but how we do in the league. So bring on Navy and lets treat this as the opener it is, the rest is just pre-season (fun pre-season but pre-season).

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.162 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:26 PM